Saturday, April 21, 2007

Peppered Salmon with Ponzu

I had the good fortune of receiving an unexpected gift of fresh salmon. Normally, I like to just throw it on the grill with a bit of kosher salt, pepper, olive oil, and dill. However, as fate would have it, spring has arrived, but summer is not quite here yet. I couldn't rely on it not pouring on me when I was out with the grill, so I wimped out and went with an indoor method which is a variation on a Cooking Light recipe from this month or last.

2 T mixed peppercorns, ground
1 T sesame seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 salmon servings with skin
1 tsp. canola oil
5-6 drops orange oil (zest would work here, but I had none)
2 tsp ponzu
1/2 tsp agave nectar or honey

Heat oven to 400F. Mix the first three ingredients in a shallow dish. dredge the cut side of the salmon in the pepper mixture. Heat oven-safe frying pan over medium heat. Add canola and orange oil. Fry the salmon for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes until flaky or whatever you like. Plate and pour 1/4 of ponzu mixture over each piece.

I served this with broccoli raab that had been blanched for 2 minutes and then put in cold water. Then I sauteed a garlic clove in olive oil and added the raab and tossed until the raab was fully reheated and tender. Simple and delicious.

No comments: