Friday, December 5, 2008

Spiced candied pecans

There are two totally different varieties of 5 spice available out there. One has ginger, cloves, pepper, anise (or star anise) and cinnamon. The other is a blend of fennel, star anise, pepper, cinnamon and cloves. I imagine that either would be fine for this recipe, but I used the latter combo. I had a hard time finding the version I wanted so I made my own using
this recipe. And yes, I have Sichuan peppercorns sitting around. Doesn't everyone?

3 cups raw pecans
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1.5 T canola oil
2 T water
1/4 tsp ground cayenne
1.5 tsp. five spice

Mix first 6 ingredients in a large frying pan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Cook 7-9 minutes until nuts begin to smell slightly roasted, stirring occasionally. Add cayenne and five spice. Mix well. Turn out mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet, separating nuts. Cool at room temperature. Seal in air tight container.
Makes approximately 5 cups.

These will keep for at least a few minutes if Scott is around.

No comments: